On Saturday, I got up at the crack of dawn, shimmied into my (new and improved) Tank Girl costume and then drove with Ross down to Melbourne for the Armageddon convention. Although I attend a lot of conventions, Armageddon will always hold a special place in my heart, because it was the very first convention that I ever went to.
This year, we opted out of going to any panels or lining up for signatures. We had to drive two hours to Melbourne and two hours home again, so we didn’t feel like wasting our precious time waiting in line. Instead, we just wandered about, looking at stalls and taking lots of photos.
Here’s a list of some of the things we did at Armageddon this year:
– I bought an amazing TARDIS cookie jar.
– We met Yaya Han, who is an amazing costume designer and model.
– We stocked up on delicious flavoured liquorice straps.
– I nearly sucker-punched a gross guy who tried to unhook my stockings while we were walking back from lunch.
– We had a lovely chat about Harry Potter with the always lovely Stewart McKenny.
– I ummed and ahhed about buying a Cheshire Cat kigurumi suit, but decided against it in the end.
– We talked for ages with Chris McQuinlan, a fab comic book artist who did a great Tank Girl commission piece for me a while back. We also bought a copy of his new book, How to Make a Friend, which is super-adorable.
– I ate way too many Skittles and chattered like a monkey the whole way home.
We also saw loads of incredible cosplay costumes. Here are some of my favourites:
Ghostbusters! These guys looked totally rad. Their proton packs lit up and everything.
Ross with Grimlock, the Transformer.
Princess Bubblegum and Marceline from Adventure Time. I loved their Peppermint Butler
How good is this Lumpy Space Princess?! She was adorable!
Ross with a very gorgeous lady Loki.
Me with Dr Horrible of Dr Horrible’s Sing Along Blog.
A very excellent 10th Doctor, who was kind enough to let me hold his psychic paper. Also, note my giant bag of liquorice straps.
Ross with a Mandelorian Bounty Hunter.
Frank from Donny Darko.
Chewie is that you? This guy was awesome. He even made the Chewbacca noise and it was perfect. I don’t know why he was wearing a hockey jersey though…
Tank Girl on Tank Girl action (and yes, I am honka-honkaing her bazookas)
And now, I’ve saved the best for last:
Rufio! Hook is one of my favourite movies, so you can only imagine my delight when I saw this costume. This Rufio was super sweet (and female). Earlier in the day I saw her snogging her BF, who was dressed as Mr Tumnus from The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe. I never thought I’d see those two characters make out, but there you go. I spent the car trip home scoffing skittles and yelling “BANGARANG!”
So as you can see, we had an awesome day at Armageddon. I can’t wait for next year!