Eggnog is one of my favourite Yuletide treats. The very first sip always leaves me with an overwhelming rush of Christmas spirit. Lately I’ve been experimenting with what I call a vegan-ish diet, in that I’m eating a mostly plant based diet with as few animal products as possible. I’ve been attempting to convert some of my favourite recipes to make them vegan-friendly, and I couldn’t resist trying to create my own vegan eggnog.
The results were a delicious, creamy beverage that is like Christmas in a cup. This recipe is really easy, and uses ingredients that are available in most supermarkets. You don’t need any special equipment or appliances and it’s ready to drink in a matter of minutes.
This eggnog recipe is for you if you:
- are vegan
- are lactose intolerant
- are watching your cholesterol
- are grossed out by the idea of drinking raw egg
You will need:
- 1 cup non dairy milk. I love cashew milk for this recipe because it has a sweet flavour. Almond milk also works really well. But you could use soy milk, rice milk, oat milk, coconut milk or any other non-dairy alternative.
- 1/3 cup coconut cream.
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 shot brandy (if you want to make this a boozy bevvy. If not, leave the brandy out)
Place ingredients in a jug and whisk with a fork until combined. You can also put it in a cocktail shaker and give it a good shake if you want a frothier drink. Top with a little cinnamon in a glass.
This recipe makes enough for 2 glasses.
- warm milk, spices, syrup and coconut cream in a saucepan over a low heat, stirring often. Pour into a mug and add brandy if desired.
- Add a teaspoon of drinking chocolate to make a chocolate version.