When the year begins to draw to a close, I start to get a little introspective. It’s natural to look back at what has happened over the past twelve months, and this year when I peer in the review mirror at my life it’s hard to believe that so much could have happened in just twelve short months.
Here’s a very short run-down of some of the big things that happened to me this past year:
- I started a new job in January. It’s been very challenging and different to any job I’ve had before. But I’ve learned so much and I’m loving my work. I work with a fantastic group of people and I feel so pleased with the progress I’ve made this year.
- I came out as bisexual to my family and friends. While I’ve known for a long time that I was bi, I had never felt the need to bring it up. However, when I began dating more widely this year I felt like it was time to tell people. The reactions I’ve received have been a bit of a mixed bag, and some have been hard to swallow. But I’m so glad that I’ve been open about my sexuality as I feel that it’s given me more scope to explore it and I’m happy that I’m living more authentically.
- I had my first (and probably only) polyamorous relationship. While it was fun and I still care about my ex boyfriend and girlfriend, it simply wasn’t built to last.
- I was present when a co-worker had a stroke at work and it was one of the scariest moments of my life. Amazingly, she has now recovered completely and is back at work. The whole experience made me feel extremely grateful for all that I have, and also showed me how strong I can be when needed. I always expected that I would be a wreck in an emergency, but when the time came I was frighteningly calm and capable. I’m proud of how I managed that day and so darn relieved to have my colleague safe and sound.
- I started online dating and met loads of awesome people (and a few not so awesome ones)
- I met and began dating my lovely girlfriend, Jac. It’s been so wonderful getting to know her and I’m excited for all that’s yet to come.
- I began attending classes at my local gym and met loads of great people.
- I got an article published in Wellbeing Magazine which touched on two of my favourite topics: yoga and depression.
- I ran my first craft fair stall in April and then did it again in August.
- I shaved the side of my head into a sidecut, and I’m still so chuffed with this style.
As you can see, it’s been a massive year for me. It’s also been a year with not a whole lot of blogging. I’ve been debating lately whether I want to continue with my blog. When I first started blogging, I was diligent about posting daily. Then as my schedule became more hectic, I started posting only on weekdays. And this year it was my goal to post three articles a week. But that just hasn’t happened. My life has gotten so big and so full that there isn’t always time to do all the things I want to. I sometimes feel guilty when I don’t have a chance to blog regularly and I wondered whether it would be better to just shut down my blog.
But I really don’t want to do that. Blogging has brought so much joy into my life. I adore sitting down to put together a post and I have met some of the most amazing people through my blog. So instead of trying to work to a blog schedule and posting a certain number of times a week, I’m going to be a bit more relaxed with my writing. I’m hoping that this year I’ll be able to put up lots of great posts, but I’m not sure how frequent my posting will be. But rest assured that I’m not going to bail on this space or the amazing people who continue to visit regularly. I’ll still be about, living and loving, and I’m going to make a big effort to fill this space with tales of my adventures, funny stories, fashion, advice and geekery.
I hope your year has been as full and challenging as mine has. What did you get up to?