On the weekend I read and was inspired by Amanda’s Reverse Bucket List post over on her awesome blog, Dragonflight Dreams. I sometimes feel so overwhelmed with the thought of all the things that I want to accomplish in my life, and I forget to take stock of all the amazing things that I’ve already done. So today I’m going to share my reverse bucket list, a collection of the accomplishments I’ve already ticked off my to-do list for my life.
So far in my 28 years I have:
– Graduated from university with two degrees: A Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor of Psychology.
– Lived on -campus and made loads of awesome friends there.
– Completed a psychological research project about memory and ageing.
– Had a seven-year long-distance relationship
– Lived with a boyfriend
– Survived (and thrived) after a massive break-up
– Volunteered at several jobs, including a legal centre and with a group that helps overseas students to improve their English skills.
– Worked as a mentor to first-year college students.
– Started and run a blog for 4.5 years.
– Spent loads of quality time with my Nana and looked after her in her final days.
– Overcome and eating disorder
– Graduated from high school at close to the top of my class.
– Met several online friends.
– Held a murder-mystery party
– Cosplayed on numerous occasions
– Visited a comic book and pop-culture convention.
– Gotten by belly-button pierced.
– Ridden on a steam train
– Eaten snake, possum, crocodile, kangaroo and emu meats
– Ridden a mechanical bull
– Played a game of giant twister
– Sung in front of a room of people.
– Built a blanket fort in my loungeroom and spent a night in it.
– Gotten a drastic haircut
– Ridden a zip line
– Gone down a vertical slide
– Completed a high-ropes course
– Gone abseiling
– Gone canoeing
– Met several of my personal idols, including Terry Pratchett, Nicholas Brendan and Billy West
– Slept under the stars
– Pulled several all-nighters
– Self-published several books
– Ridden on a paddle-wheel boat
– Visited a prison (several, actually)
– Been skinny dipping
– Jumped into a pool with all my clothes on
-Climbed to the top of a mountain
– Been baptized
– Been to a viewing of the body before a funeral
– Touched the costume Johnny Depp wore in Edward Scissorhands
– Seen the dress Marilyn Monroe wore in The Seven Year Itch
– Watched The Dark Side of Oz
-Sat in the front row at a comedy show
– Been to a fashion show
– Started an online shop
-Learned to crochet
– Made an item of clothing that I actually wear
– Fallen in love
– Been sledding
-Adopted two cats
-Hand-fed a kangaroo
– Watched a sunset and a sunrise (not in the same day!)
-Ridden a camel
-Written a fan letter
-Cosplayed as a character of the opposite gender (Jay of Jay and Silent Bob)
– Attended a gay-pride event
– Learned to roller-blade
– Learned a foreign language (Indonesian)
-Lived on my own
– Lived in a share house
– Seen an Olympic event (the soccer match between Chile and Argentina when the Olympics was in Sydney in 2000)
-Played laser tag
– Had a full-body Chinese massage
– Attended a Back To The Future marathon
– Queued up for a book release
– Worn a wig in public
– Been kissed in the rain
-Shared a kiss with a stranger
– Gave my lunch to a homeless person
-Hidden secret love notes in the pockets of coats in thrift stores
– Read a book cover-to-cover in one day
When I look at this list, I realise what an amazing life I’ve led already. I feel truly proud of all that I’ve accomplished and excited by all the things I have yet to do. This list is a perfect reminder to me that I’ve done so much with my life so far, and that I shouldn’t feel discouraged on days when I feel like I haven’t accomplished anything, because that’s just not true.
What’s on your reverse bucket list? Have you done any of the same items I have?