Bircher muesli is hands-down my favourite breakfast food. It’s delicious, it’s healthy and it’s filling enough to keep you going through to lunch time. I don’t make it very often because it does require a bit of night-before planning. But I like to whip this up as a special treat for myself from time-to-time
This recipe makes enough for two people (or enough for one person if you like a big breakfast). It will keep in the fridge for about 48 hours.
– 1 cup rolled oats
– 1 1/4 cup of apple or pear juice
– 1 grated apple or pear
– fresh berries or dried fruit to serve
What you do:
1. Roughly grate the apple or pear (you can use whichever you prefer)
2. Mix the grated fruit with the oats in a big bowl.
3. Pour the juice over the oats mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. This works best if you make it the night before and stick it in the fridge overnight.
4. Serve topped with yogurt and your choice of dried fruit or berries. It’s also delicious topped with a generous sprinkling of cinnamon.
This recipe can easily be adapted for vegan diets. Just leave out the yogurt and serve with a splash of soy or nut milk instead.
What is your favourite breakfast food? Have you tried bircher muesli?