Happy Thursday everybody! Can you believe that January is nearly over already? I certainly can’t. It looks as though 2014 is already whipping past. So let’s jump into Things I Love Thursday without any further ado, mmm-kay?
This week, I love:
– My friends. I am so lucky to have the most supportive and wonderful friends ever. This week was a bit rocky for me mood-wise, but they have been incredibly wonderful and helped me to stand back up and walk tall again.
– Buying Valentines presents for myself. I was feeling a bit down that I have nobody special in my life at the moment. And then I realized that I do: me! I decided to treat myself to some beautiful things for Valentines Day. I thought back to all those disappointing Valentines Days in the past. The one where I’d given a hand-made card to my crush only to have him give it back to me. The one where I ripped into a package that I thought might contain a beautiful, sentimental gift, only to find a copy of The Sims. The one where I got a card that, instead of proclaiming sweet declarations of love, was filled with sketches of stick figures boning. I decided it was time to give myself a Valentines Day that made up for all the crummy ones. So I bought several gorgeous pieces of vintage jewelry and some beautiful lingerie (that will look good and be comfortable. Not cheap panties from a sex store that rub your nether-regions raw). I’m going to take myself out for a wonderful meal and just enjoy my own company.
-This book: Geek Girls Unite by Leslie Simon. It’s an amazing guide to the different types of geek girl subcultures with cute illustrations and a witty tone. I can relate to so much of this book. If you’re geek girl, whether you’re into fandoms, comics, music, films, books, crafts, retro culture or a bit of everything, I definitely recommend reading this.
– Doing a ruthless clean-out of my CDs and getting rid of enough that I can throw away my falling-apart C.D rack and just keep the lovely black one.
-Finding a pink version of my favourite green flats for just $4. These are so comfortable and I like the shape of them a bit more than standard ballet flats.
-Mr Ringo’s habit of sleeping in the T.V cabinet, behind the DVDs.
– The cool change. Finally.
– Kahlua cheesecake.
-Finding these red brocade trousers at the thrift store for $1. The bad news is that when I tried them on they’re so tight that I can’t sit down. The good news is they’ve got a pretty generous seam, so hopefully I’ll be able to alter them to fit.
– Watching an awesome documentary series called She Wolves about the early queens of England. Those ladies were bad-ass.
– Gypsy Rose Lee. I’ve started learning more about her, and she was flippin’ phenomenal. Sure, she wasn’t always the most upstanding person but she did incredible work for various charities. Plus, her attitudes towards women’s rights, sexuality and body image were awesome.
What do you love this week?
Eeeppppp! I know, it’s genuinely hard to believe that we’re at the end of the first month of the year already. My goodness, where did the past four weeks go? I haven’t a clue, but I can certainly say that I hope the next eleven months are considerably slower. If not, and time wants to whiz past that quickly, I might just start leaving my Christmas decorations up all year! 🙂
I’d be happy to celebrate Christmas again soon, but I think I’d prefer to have a chance to enjoy the rest of the year before it rolls around again!