Happy Thursday gorgeous reader! I hope that you’ve had a fantastic week so far. This week I’ve got a double-whammy post for you, in that Things I Love Thursday will also be accompanied by an outfit photo. Yippee!
Last weekend when I was in the city I found two awesome items that were on my wardrobe wish-list. I snapped up these velvet cropped pants for $10 and these incredible purple loafers for just $5. I had to share this outfit with you, because I love it.
– Pink and purple crochet cardigan (thrifted)
– Ghost World tee shirt from Pulp Kitchen
– Mother of pearl earrings (thrifted)
– Black velvet cropped pants from Cotton On
– Purple loafers from Rubi Shoes.
I wore this outfit to laze around the house and answer emails. Then in the evening I swapped my cardi for a blazer and my loafers for motorcycle boots and took myself out for a pizza.
The other thing I love about this outfit is that it reminds me of the loafers-and-cropped-pants combo worn my Audrey Hepburn in Funny Face. Surely you remember the scene where she does her beatnik dance?
I did my own private re-enactment of that scene in my bedroom:
There’s nothing like a bit of nutty dancing to brighten up your day!
This week I love:
– Grey Gardens. I watched the film Grey Gardens starring Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange on the weekend, and I’m now obsessed with Little Edie. I’m desperate to get my hands on a copy of the 1975 documentary, and I’ve ordered one from the library. For those of you who don’t know what I’m talking about, Grey Gardens was a 1975 documentary about a mother and daughter: Edith Bouvier and Edith Bouvier Beale, also known as Big Edie and Little Edie. They were the aunt and cousin of Jacqueline Bouvier, who became Jackie Kennedy. The two women were ridiculously wealthy and lived in a mansion in the Hamptons called Grey Gardens. When Big Edie’s husband died, he left them a trust fund which quickly ran out. The two women lived in poverty, with no running water or heat while the house went to ruin around them. Eventually Grey Gardens was condemned, and Jackie Onassis paid to have it restored. In 1975 a film crew made a documentary following the day-to-day lives of Little Edie and Big Edie, who were incredibly eccentric and oddly stylish. I can’t wait to watch the original documentary. Here’s one of my favourite scenes:
– Tarot readings. I used to be really into the study of tarot cards, but I lost interest in it a few years ago. Last Tuesday I got my cards out again on a whim and did a reading. It was loads of fun and very interesting.
– Wearing some of the vintage nightgowns I got last weekend to bed. It makes me feel so much more glamorous than just wearing PJ pants and a jumper to go to sleep.
– Fresh, juicy mandarins.
– Terry Pratchett.
– Monsters University. Pixar has really outdone themselves with that one.
– Beads, beads and more beads.
– Learning about customising vintage clothing and coming up with ideas for restoring pieces I’ve found in op-shops.
– Cuddling my Nana.
What do you love this Thursday? Leave your own list in the comments or send me a link to your Things I Love Thursday post.
Love your dance so much. The best part about my Thursday – realising my hat isn’t due for two weeks and staying home from class (where we were working on our hat) and then watching it hail while I was snuggled up in bed (and being so glad I wasn’t on public transport trying to get to class in that weather).
Oh, that sounds absolutely heavenly!
Oh Grey Gardens is just the best!
I know, right? I got the full documentary and watched it last night. It was so intriguing.
Those loafers are so joyfully marvelous! I would have been drawn to them like a moth to a flame, too. Not only because I own nary a single pair of loafers (flats, yes, but not true loafers), but because I’ve already dubbed purple my colour of the year for 2014 and have begun to keep my eyes peeled for pieces in this regal hue to spice up my wardrobe with.
Big hugs & happy weekend wishes,
Thank you so much. I’m so glad you like my loafers. I’m totally smitten with them. I wear a lot of purple, and it’s probably the colour I enjoy wearing the most. Which is kind of funny, I suppose because it isn’t my favourite colour (red is).
VELVET PANTS?! They sound amazing, and that’s such a cute outfit. ❤ I love a good rainbow, and I *love* vintage sleepwear, and lingerie. It's all so beautiful. It's a little known fact, but I am a huge lover of lingerie, and such, in general. It's not something I talk about on LnL a lot, but I think a cute underwear set, or a romantic nightgown, or even something a little sexier, is so much fun to wear!
BIG HUG, friend. ❤
Thank you. I’m a big fan of these velvet pants. I’ve wanted a pair for a while, and now I’ve got them I want to buy more pairs in different colours. They look so unusual, they’re easy to style and holy crap are they comfy!
I am addicted to beautiful sleepwear and lingerie. I have to really limit how much I buy, because I can very easily go on a bender and come home with drawers full of, well, drawers!