Most of us could do with a little more romance in our lives. Sadly, it can be hard to come by, particularly if you’re relying on somebody else to do all the wooing. Never fear though, because I’ve come up with fifteen suggestions of ways that you can romance the most important person in your life: yourself.
2. Write a short love note to yourself. Use a coloured pen to write “you’re gorgeous”, “You’re incredible” or another similar sentiment on a small piece of paper. Now wedge that paper between the pages of your favourite book, in the pocket of your winter coat or into the coin pouch of your purse. It will come as a lovely surprise down the track when you find it again.
3. Before you go to work, strip the sheets off your bed and replace them with fresh, clean linens. Make the bed and sprinkle rosewater on the pillows. Place a set of perfectly-folded pyjamas on the pillow. When you get home from work, a comfortable haven will be waiting for you.
4. Spend an afternoon lying on the grass reading a lovely book.
5. Take yourself out for a decadent morning tea. Choose a delectable slice of cake and wash it down with your hot beverage of choice.
6. Stand in front of the mirror and proudly proclaim, “I love my body. I love my thighs, my hips and my tummy. I appreciate all the incredible things that my body allows me to do. I am perfect exactly the way I am”. For bonus points, do this naked.
7. Buy yourself a special little treat. A yummy variety of herbal tea? A cute pair of earrings? A fun new shade of lippy? Just pick up a little something to pop a smile on your face.
8. Think of something that you’ve always wanted to try. Perhaps you’d love to learn how to salsa dance. Or maybe you’ve never been camping and you’d like to give it a try. Maybe you’ve been dreaming about dying your hair an outrageous shade. Now do one thing to make that dream a reality. Book in for dance lessons, take some holidays or buy a bottle of dye. The first step is the hardest one.
9. Book yourself in for a massage, a facial or a pedicure.
10. Write a poem about your virtues, all the things you’re good at and everything that makes you awesome.
11. Slip into your sexiest, raunchiest lingerie set. Now, pop your regular clothes on over the top. Your naughty underthings will remain your own private secret for the rest of the day.
12. Run yourself a bubble bath. Luxuriate in the bubbles with a magazine, a plate of fresh-cut fruit and a glass of champers.
13. Go on a movie date with yourself. Choose a film that you’ve been dying to see and head off on your own to check it out. You won’t have to share your popcorn and there’ll be nobody to tell you off if you laugh too hard.
14. Take a mental health day. Skive off work and spend the day doing whatever takes your fancy. You don’t even have to leave the house if you don’t want to, just do whatever makes you smile.
15. Create an affirmation and say it to yourself regularly. It could be something deep and profound or something shockingly simple. For example, my favourite affirmation is, “Fuck, I’m awesome!”
Tell me about some of the nice things you like to do for yourself!
For more self-care tips, hit subscribe. That way, you’ll never be out of the loop!