Happy Halloween to you, gorgeous reader! Do you have plans for this, the spookiest day of the year? No? Well, never fear, because I’ve got 20 spook-tastic ideas about how you can celebrate Halloween. Whether you want to go all-out, or you’re looking for a more low-key celebration, there’s something on this list for you.
1. Invite your best girl-pal over for a Buffy the Vampire Slayer marathon. Chuckle over Buffy’s 90’s wardrobe and get into an intense debate over who was cuter: Spike or Angel. (The real answer is neither, Xander’s the awesomest guy in the Buffy-verse).
2. Grab your crush and dress up as Mia Wallace and Vince Vega from Pulp Fiction. Now go out for milkshakes.
3. Eat something pumpkin-flavoured. Pumpkin soup? Pumpkin pie? Roast pumpkin pasta bake?
4. Run yourself a bath and pour in a heady witches-brew of essential oils. Rose, ylang-ylang and bergamont will relax you and make for a satisfying soak. Light some candles and lie back to watch the puffs of steam from the water curl towards the ceiling.
5. As an alternative to wearing a costume, pick an outfit that’s dramatically different to what you normally wear. Pretend to be someone else for a day.
6. Head to the library and pick out a scary book to keep you occupied. The Exorcist, It and The Shining are all good options.
7. Paint your nails with orange with black french tips.
8. Head to the nearest zoo and spend a while checking out some creepy crawlies. Snakes, spiders and bats are all fascinating to watch.
9. Try these delicious candy-flavoured cocktails.
10. Throw on your P.Js, close the curtains and spend an evening learning the dance to Thriller.
11. Play a prank on your housemate. Hide behind their bedroom door and jump out when they arrive home.
12. Grab a notebook and a pen and write a scary short story. Then send it via snail mail to your best buddy.
13. Have a deep and meaningful conversation with your lover about all the things that you were frightened of when you were a little kid. (For me it was clowns, men with beards and walking past mirrors in the dark).
14. Splash out and buy yourself an awesome wig. Pick something that’s really different to your real hair. It will be perfect for bad-hair days, or those times when you feel like being incognito.
15. Decorate your bedroom with fake spiderwebs, skulls and bats.
16. Have your tarot cards read by a real fortune teller.
17. Fill a huge bowl with lollies and take it to work to share with your co-workers.
18. Dress up as Wally (or Waldo, depending on where you’re from). Then head to your local tourist trap and photo-bomb the day away.
19. Leave a ghost message for your housemate or live-in-lover. Take a bar of soap and write a message on the bathroom mirror. When they take a shower, the message will appear as the mirror starts to fog up.
20. Throw a party for all your friends. At midnight, lead everyone outside to look at the night sky.
How do you plan to spend this Halloween?