Have you ever had a set of lingerie that was just too pretty to keep covered up? Have you ever lamented over the amount you’ve paid for a bodice or slip that nobody else ever sees? Well, why not fling yourself into the trend of wearing underwear as outerwear? It’s easy to do, it looks amazingly sexy and it’s currently one of the hottest trends out there. The underwear as outerwear look can be adapted to suit a range of different styles, from bombshell to diva, from goth to princess. Even hippy and rock-chick types can join in the fun.
There are a few rules to observe when experimenting with this trend. They are as follows:
– make sure that the garment you have chosen fits you perfectly. This is especially true of corsets or bodices. You don’t want any garments that are going to gape or squeeze you too tightly. Choose garments that are a perfect fit, which will look gorgeous and feel comfortable.
– Check to make sure that the underwear you’ve chosen isn’t too transparent. You don’t want to try this look with anything that’s too sheer. Heavier fabrics and darker colours are best to avoid any mishaps.
– You can’t do this look with just any old underwear. The pieces you choose need to be in excellent repair, with no rips, fading or fraying.
This look is tricky to wear, but if you pull it off you will look brilliant. You just need a little bit of practice and a lot of guts. It’s really important to make sure that the pieces you choose blend well with the rest of your outfit, so that they look like deliberate fashion choices. You don’t want to look as though you’ve forgotten to get dressed and have accidentally stepped out in your underwear. It’s also vital that you remember to do your hair and makeup, so that you don’t look like you’ve just stumbled out of bed. Keeping your appearance well-groomed and polished pulls the whole look together.
You can source your underwear/outerwear garments from a variety of places. High-end lingerie stores are a good place to start, but they can be very pricey. Some of the undergarments that make regular appearances in my everyday wear have been purchased at simple department stores, like Target. Vintage and second-hand stores are also a brilliant place to look for slips and garter belts.
Once you’ve gotten a few pieces that you are happy to try out, start playing around and working them into your wardrobe. Here are a few suggestions:
– Use a corset or bustier as a top. They look excellent when paired with a well-fitted pair of jeans or trousers, with a blazer over the top.
– Slips can make lovely dresses. You can layer one on top of the other for a tiered effect, slip a tee-shirt over the top or just wear them on your own. Try buying simple, plain slips and then dyeing them in a rainbow of colours yourself.
– Use a garter belt to decorate your favorite jeans. Slip it on over the top of your jeans and add a sexy, satiny top and a pair of sky-high heels.
– Crinoline petticoats can be worn on their own for a fun can-can style look. Just pop a tee shirt or cardigan over the top and slip a pair of fun boots onto your feet and you’re good to go.
– Half-slips can be used to make sweet skirts. You can tie-dye them, embroider flowers onto them or leave them plain. Simply add a tank top or blouse, a pair of leggings or tights and some Mary Janes for a fun look.
– Wear a low-cut top or dress and let a pretty bra peek out over the top of the neckline.
– Satin camisoles can be worn as tops over jeans and skirts. Just be sure to check that the cami you’ve chosen isn’t too sheer or see-through.
– Corsets can be worn as an alternative to a tank top over a skirt. If you’re going to try this, make sure that the skirt is at least knee-length or longer, to avoid looking like a prostitute. You can add a pair of textured tights and boots in winter, or slip into a pair of comfy sandals for a fun, fairy-inspired outfit.
I love experimenting with underwear as outerwear, as it allows you to break a bunch of fashion rules and wear something in a way that you’re not really supposed to. Not only does this appeal to the rebel in us all, but it encourages you to open your mind to a range of new sartorial opportunities. Give it a try the next time you’re stuck in a style rut, are wanting to try something new, or when you have a gorgeous set of underwear that you can’t bear to keep hidden.