While many women are perfectly happy to stick to nude or black tights, I find that there is always room in my closet for a pair of exciting stockings. I buy them in all colours, and in varying prints and textures. Coloured tights are a brilliant way to add interest to an otherwise mundane outfit. They are perfect for adding a splash of colour without looking too garish. Tights with patterns on them are very slimming, and perfect for drawing attention to your legs. Best of all, hosiery isn’t overly expensive, so if you are looking to update your wardrobe without breaking the bank, splashing out on a few pairs of amazing stockings is a great way to do it.
Venturing out into the world of coloured stockings can be a little daunting. There are so many ways to wear them that it can be a bit overwhelming at first. As a self-confirmed lover of daring hosiery, I thought that I would compile a list of ideas and suggestions for you.
Coloured tights can be purchased from so many places. I find that some of the best ones are often some of the least expensive. I like stocking up on stockings at those little kiosks in shopping malls, that sell all manner of socks and stockings. Department stores, such as Myer, tend to have a relatively good selection of bold tights, but they tend to be a bit more expensive. I try to wait until the end of each season, and then snap up several pairs for a fraction of the price. Pulp Kitchen, Dangerfield and Sportsgirl have excellent legwear for reasonable prices. If you are looking to shop online for stockings, you really can’t go past We Love Colours, for the hugest range of stockings and socks imaginable.
Here is a link to We Love Colors for your viewing pleasure:
Here are a few of my favourite ways to wear coloured tights:
– wear an all-black outfit with a pair of shockingly bright tights, and make them the feature of your outfit.
– Wear block-coloured tights in primary colours with a pucci-print mini dress for a 60’s mod look
– If you run a pair of black tights, don’t despair. Take your scissors and slash a couple more holes in them. Then, layer them over a pair of hot pink, red or leopard print tights.
– Lace tights worn with gypsy skirts and ankle boots look wonderfully bohemian and feminine all at once.
– Layer a pair of ripped jeans over brightly coloured or patterned tights.
– Choose pastel, polka-dot or heart-print tights and wear them with your prettiest dress. Add a strand of pearls and flowers in your hair. Eat cupcakes and pat the kittens in the pet store.
– Stripy stockings are the perfect compliment to any goth or punk outfit. They can also be added to a more demure outfit to give it a bit of a hard edge.
– If you have a pair of fishnets or textured tights, throw them on over a pair of brightly coloured stockings, so that the colour peeks out between the netting.
– Wear a pair of short black shorts with gold buttons over a pair of tartan stockings and Dr. Martens boots and your favourite band tee.
– Liven up your work wardrobe by adding a pair of navy or royal purple tights to your regular work skirts, suits and dresses.
These are just a few ideas. There are so many different ways that you can work them into your everyday wardrobe. I am sure that with a little imagination and experimentation, you will be able to come up with your own ways to enjoy these most fabulous of accessories.