A few nights ago, Ross and I made dinner for a friend. We wanted something that would be hearty and healthy, so we decided to make my Greek Bean soup. I modified the recipe, which originally came from a copy of Cosmopolitan.
– 1 tablespoon oil
– 1 large onion, roughly chopped
– 3 stalks celery, roughly chopped
– 2 carrots, diced
– 3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
– 600g can diced tomatoes
– 400g can cannelloni beans
– 300g can butter beans
– 100g baby beans, either canned or fresh
– 3 cups water
– heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion for about two minutes, until it is clear. Add the celery, garlic, carrots and hers and cook for about three minutes, stirring constantly.
– Add the tomatoes and the water and bring to the boil.
– Add herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
– Simmer for at least 30 minutes.
– Serve with crusty bread
This soup is really filling, and this recipe makes about 5-6 serves. I like to make a huge batch and freeze the leftovers for lunches later in the week.